International health officials1 say the number of new Ebola cases in West Africa is falling2. But the experts warn3 this news must not slow4 the fight against5 Ebola. The United Nations is still calling for6 more international help to fight the deadly virus7.
In late October, officials in West Africa began reporting8 some good news in the battle9 against Ebola. The number of new cases is dropping10.
In Liberia's capital, Anthony Banbury is the UN official responsible for emergency Ebola response efforts11. He confirmed there have been12 improvements13 in the fight against the deadly disease14. Fewer15 people are getting infected16 and fewer are dying from it17.
But he warns, the fight against Ebola is far from over18.
"We need NGOs19 and others to come in and run these facilities20. We are putting in place21 the logistics capabilities. We are building the care centers22. We are getting23 the equipment, everything we need to go in them. The patients are there in far too great numbers24. What we don't have are the partners25 to run the facilities and we need them now."
In the United States, health officials have expressed hope26 that a new vaccine may27 protect against Ebola. The disease has already killed about 5,000 people and infected close to27 14,000 others.
Lausanne's University Hospital in Switzerland30 began testing the vaccine onTuesday in healthy volunteers31. A doctor who only gave32 her name as “Tina” agreed to take part33 in the study.
She says a safe vaccine that works34 is needed35 to prevent the spread36 of Ebola.
"I think the sooner37 we have a vaccine that works, that is safe, then the sooner we can use that vaccine to vaccinate the people in West Africa and wherever else38 the Ebola could spread."
Experts say there is no danger39 of getting Ebola from40 the vaccine. Vincent Mooser is with Lausanne’s University Hospital.
"What we measure41 is anti-bodies42 to the protein which is produced by the vaccine, and we also do some specific and detailed analysis43 on the white blood cells44 in the blood to ask the question whether45 the cells exposed to vaccine have a different biology than those who have not been exposed to the vaccine."
If the vaccine proves effective46, researchers47 will organize tests with larger groups48.
French researchers are developing49 an Ebola test that would give results in 15 minutes. The current50 test used to test for Ebola takes 24 hours51. Faster52 tests also53 are being developed in Japan and the United States.
On Wednesday, President Barack Obama also asked the U.S. Congress to provide54 $4.5 billion for an immediate response to the deadly disease. He also asked for $1.5 billion in emergency back-up money55.
I’m Anna Matteo.
*This report was based on a story from VOA’s Zlatica Hoke. Anna Matteo wrote this story for VOA Learning English. George Grow was the editor.
1. health officials = funcionarios da area de saude
2. falling = caindo
3. experts warn = especialistas alertam
4. must not slow = não deve desacelerar
5. fight against = luta contra
6. is still calling for = ainda está pedindo por
7. deadly virus = virus fatal
8. began reporting = começaram a relatar
9. battle = batalha
10. dropping = caindo
11. efforts = esforços
12. there have been = tem havido
13. improvements = melhorias
14. disease = doença
15. Fewer = menos
16. getting infected = ficando infectadas
17. dying from it = morrendo disso
18. far from over = longe de acabar
19. NGOs = ONGs
20. run these facilities = administrar estas instalações
21. putting in place = colocando em prática
22. care centers = centros de atendimento
23. getting = conseguindo
24. far too great numbers = numerous grandes demais
25. partners = parceiros
26. hope = esperança
27. may = pode (possibilidade)
28. has already killed about = já matou aproximadamente
29. infected close to = infectou perto de
30. Switzerland = Suíça
31. healthy volunteers = voluntarios saudáveis
32. only gave = deu somente
33. agreed to take part = concordou em participar
34. safe vaccine that works = vacina segura que funcione
35. needed = necessária
36. prevent the spread = impedir a disseminação
37. the sooner = o quanto antes
38. wherever else = onde mais
39. there is no danger = não há nenhum perigo
40. getting Ebola from = pegar Ebola de
41. measure = medimos
42. anti-bodies = anticorpos
43. detailed analysis = analise detalhada
44. cells = células
45. ask the question whether = fazer a pergunta se
46. effective = efetivo, eficiente
47. researchers = pesquisadores
48. larger groups = grupos maiores
49. developing = desenvolvendo
50. current = atual
51. takes 24 hours = leva 24 horas
52. Faster = mais rápido
53. also = também
54. provide = fornecer
55. back-up money = dinheiro de reserva